Search All Our Blogs

Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year's Resolutions for Genealogists

The only resolution I have ever tried to keep in my adult life was one I made about my genealogy. I thought a resolution tied to something I loved to do would be easy.

I made a list of all the records I needed to request and people I needed to contact. My resolution was to check one of these off each week. That was it, one letter a week.

While I never wrote all of those letters, just making the list was a great exercise. Organization is a key to doing genealogy and making that resolution forced me to get my act together.

Here are a few New Year's Resolutions to consider:
  1. I resolve to catch up on my filing and get rid of clutter.
  2. I resolve to join a genealogical society
  3. I resolve to write one article about my family research
  4. I resolve to submit an article to a local genealogy or state newsletter/ quarterly.
  5. I resolve to pick one record type, for example land records, to concentrate on this year.
  6. I resolve to learn how to look up one new type of genealogical record.
  7. I resolve to attend one county or state-level genealogical event this year. 
  8. I resolve to renew my contact with cousins, aunts or uncles I have not spoken to in years (maybe decades).
  9. I resolve to create timelines for significant family members to put their life in perspective.
  10. I resolve to produce either a family blog or newsletter to update my family on my research.
I want to thank my genealogy buddy Pam Treme for her assistance in creating these resolutions.

Have a safe and Happy New Year.

Take Care, Pattie


No comments:

Post a Comment