Barrington Review - October 24, 1914
On Saturday morning, October 19, in the quiet waft of the early day, Mrs. Herman Schnetlage passed to her eternal reward at the home of her son, William Schnetlage, on North Hawley Street.
She was born in Germany, November 29, 1832. Her father Herman Lageschulte, was an industrious workman. She was married to Herman Schnetlage and their home was blessed with children. Only two are now living, William Schnetlage of Barrington and Mrs. Kate Zink of Chicago, a stepdaughter.
In 1885 Mrs. Schnetlage emigrated to America and settled here. Soon after coming to this country she was converted and joined the Evangelical association. Her life has been quitely given to those duties which she found it possible to bear, and her unostentatious life was one of withdrawal from the general hum of society.
For more than 12 years she had been afflicated with a cancerous growth in her face. while she had been faithful in attending public workship in harmony with her zeal, she soon found it necessary to withdraw from attending public service in consideration ofothers, and ever since has had her private rooms in the Schnetlage home as her chapel.
That she has suffered much may be granted, yet from her statement it has been evident that her suffering was providentially lessened, and not until during this past year did she speak of her ailment as being at times painful. Her death was a welcome messenger of relief from the ravages of tormenting sufferings from cancer. Her hope of eternal life was explicit and earnest.
Her span of life reaches the 80 mark within a few weeks. Much has been done for the suffering patient during these many years by her son and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. William Schnetlage, the care developing almost entirely upon the young wife, who, besides her own household duties has borne the responsibility of the taxing care with an immense endurance and in a loving spirit.
The funeral service was held at Salem Church on Monday, conducted by her pastor, Rev. H. H. Thoren, and interment was at Evergreen Cemetery.